Thursday, February 16, 2012

100 Things --- #1

Ran across a book on Kindle called "Miss Minimalist" and that led me to a blog about minimalism.  I thought at first it was about an art style, but no, minimalism has to do with shedding possessions and living very simply.  Well, I am all for the simple life only not quite as simple as Miss Minimalist.  I don't think I'm a minimalist --- I don't want too much stuff, but neither do I want too little.  I like my comfort.  And I have a lot of things of sentimental value that I want to keep.  Still, it's interesting to think about.... and I liked an article on her blog called "100 Things" where she talks about the things she does keep in her life.

So I'm starting a "100 Things" on my blog, where, from time to time, I will talk about some of my favorite possessions.

My first Thing is my dragonfly lamp:





I love colored glass, and I love the way the light shines through the glass shade and glows like jewels.  This lamp is the perfect Thing to begin my list with, because of the way I acquired it.

Soon after N & I were married, I had a lot of STUFF to go through and get rid of.  There was his stuff and my stuff and the stuff that the people who had just moved out of the house had left behind --- it was a JOB to get rid of it.  I think that's probably why so many people have a lot of clutter in their houses:  it's a real pain to get rid of it.  (Speaking of which, if it turns out that I am allergic to dust mites, I will be doing some major excavations around here again.)

So I gave away a bunch of stuff and then I sold a bunch of stuff and what was left I donated or trashed.  And the money I made from several garage sales, etc., I used to buy my dragonfly lamp with.  So I got one beautiful AND useful thing in exchange for a gazillion things of no value --- a pretty good deal.

And that's the story of my dragonfly lamp.    :)

What are some of YOUR favorite Things, and why?

2 comments:

  1. There is a philosophy that states happiness is not found in the things you add to your life, but in the things you remove from it. While that is a very simple way to look at things there is a truth to it. Add that dream car thinking it will make you happy and you also add very expensive payments and repairs which in the end leads to stress and unhappiness. Remove the family members you love and obviously unhappiness results as well. As usual the truth lies in the middle. As Paul said, "be content in all things". Don't seek riches, but don't be a bum either.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Godliness with contentment is great gain.

    ReplyDelete