Friday, March 16, 2012

Battling Dust

Well, I had an allergy test a few weeks ago and discovered I am allergic to dust mites, roaches, and pigweed.  So I have been very busy lately trying to cut down on dust.  This is what I have done:

1.  Got a fabulous new vacuum cleaner which I absolutely love.  It was expensive, but worth it.  It's a Miele.  It's quiet, it really sucks up the dust, it has a hose that reaches 6 feet....  the best thing is the air doesn't smell all dusty when I vacuum. It has a HEPA filter and it is sealed construction, so none of the dust mites can escape!  And the carpet looks really nice and feels soft after I vacuum.

2.  Put "encasements" on my box springs, mattress, and pillow.  These are zippered covers that keep dust mites contained.

3.   Am washing my sheets and blankets every week in very hot water.  I do this by boiling water in a teakettle on the stove and adding it to the hot water in the washing machine (since our hot water heater doesn't get really hot enough).  The hot water kills dust mites.

4.  I have moved 3 bookcases full of books out of my bedroom, and also cleared out all the stuff I kept under my bed.  This was a HUGE task, since before I could move all that stuff out I had to find a place to put it!

5.  I am having a garage sale tomorrow to get rid of a lot of useless stuff that just collects dust.  Whatever doesn't sell goes to the Goodwill.  The house is starting to look nicer, actually.

6.  I will be trying to clear out my studio and sell art stuff that I don't really use anymore, like my mat cutter and my soft pastels, my Julian easel, etc.

Here are some pix:


Here is a picture of the sky tonight.


The garage sale stuff for tomorrow.  I am getting rid of my stinky old vacuum cleaner, yay.


And here is a pic of our front porch since N finished the pavers and screened it in.  It is a nice place to sit in the early evening, especially since now the mosquitoes can't get to us.  N sits and laughs at them in a sneering way when they bump into the screen, ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment