Sunday, April 15, 2012

100 Things --- #3

Number 3 on my list of 100 Things is this little porcelain rose pitcher.  I value it because it belonged to my mother, and she was very fond of it.  I believe she was given it by her mother or maybe even her grandmother.

My family happened to be living on Kodiak Island, Alaska, in 1964 during a severe earthquake (it was called the Good Friday Quake because it happened on the Friday before Easter).  My father was stationed at the Naval Air Base there.  I remember we had just finished supper and my mother had made a German chocolate cake for dessert and I was just raising the first forkful to my mouth when my hand jiggled.  For a moment I thought my sister was deliberately jostling me, but then the whole table, our chairs, the floor, and our whole apartment was shaking.  There was a horrible loud roar which sounded like a train was passing by directly under the floor and my father shouted, "Get out!  Get out! It's an earthquake!"  We all tried to run, but it was very difficult, as the floor was heaving up and down just like a fun house at a carnival.  I remember seeing the knick-knacks on some glass shelves in the dining room bouncing up and down.

Well, my mother grabbed the little rose pitcher from off those bouncing shelves as she passed by.  It was the only thing she took with her out of the house as we all ran out.





Here is an old photo of my mother sometime during the 1940's, before she was married.  She was living at the Anna Louise Inn in Cincinnati, Ohio, and you can see the little rose pitcher on a shelf or table behind her head.



And here is a wedding picture from 1950.  You can see my parents, my grandparents, and, on a bookcase shelf behind my grandfather's leg is the little rose pitcher.



It would be interesting to find out how old it is.  There is a mark on the bottom; just a raised cross and nothing else.  I've looked around on the internet a little, but have no idea really how to find out.  Well, maybe I am better off not knowing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment