Thursday, September 20, 2012

Hummingbirds, Backyard, & Kipling

N has been working on the backyard and it looks so much better!  I know it looks pretty ordinary, but it used to look like a cross between an overgrown jungle and a junkyard.  I should have taken a before picture, but I didn't want to break my camera --- ha!

anyway, he has hung an old hummingbird feeder which he resurrected from the garage somewhere and filled it with sugar water, and we have had a couple of hummingbirds coming to it the past few days.  I would like to take some pix of them, but don't have the time or patience to wait til they show up, and trying to take their pic when they do show up doesn't work very well ---- by the time I get my camera, they have zipped away.


The hummingbird feeder is hanging down from a high tree branch on a long rope.



And here is the next thing to get cleaned up --- the shed in the corner.  Looks fine from the outside, but I'm afraid it's a whited sepulchre within --- ha!   It is cluttered up with a ton of stuff we haven't used in years.  I'd go take a "before" pic of the inside, but I'm afraid of spiders and other things!  I plan to let N venture in and pull things out first.... then I'll help him decide what to keep and what to toss, etc.


the evening sky was so pretty tonight; it was glowing over the edge of our fence; but the camera simply can't capture that kind of light.  At least my camera can't   :)


Our lime tree is covered with limes.

*****************************

Have you ever read this poem by Rudyard Kipling?  For some reason I was thinking of it today:

L'Envoi

When earth's last picture is painted
And the tubes are twisted and dried
When the oldest colors have faded
And the youngest critic has died

We shall rest, and, faith! we shall need it
Lie down for an aeon or two
Til the Master of All Good Workmen
Sets us to work anew.

Then those that were good shall be happy
They shall sit in a golden chair
They shall splash at a ten-league canvas
With brushes of comets' hair.

They shall find real saints to draw from
Magdalene, Peter, and Paul.
They shall work for an age at a sitting
And never be tired at all.

And only the Master shall praise us
And only the Master shall blame
And no one will work for money
And no one will work for fame

But each for the joy of the working
And each in his separate star
Shall draw the Thing As He Sees It
For the God of Things As They Are.



No comments:

Post a Comment